How to view clips as thumbnails in Final Cut 7
My thumbnails are opening up in a new window, how do I make it so it’s a new tab?
- Option and double click the clip folder
- This will allow the clip folder to open in a new tab
What if my thumbnails are opening in a single row? How do I get it so they fill the entire gray area of browser?
- Right click in gray area
- Click on Arrange
My thumbnail is not representative of what the clip actually is. How do I change that?
- Double click clip
- Put playhead on area that better represents whats’ going on in clip
- Menu > Mark > Set Poster Frame
How do you make a clip stand out in your browser?
- Right click on clip, mark it as a different color that stands out
- Option + W = Turns your overlays on in your timeline. Then you can use the pen tool to add key frames.
- Open a new sequence
- Select Sequence > Tools > Create Master Clips (create a new bin w/ master clips
- Drag clip onto v1
How to turn on clip overlays
- Click on the bottom left of screen, the line graph looking image
How do you fade audio
- First, turn on clip over lays (short cut Option + W)
- Click on Pen Tool in tool box
- Use pen tool to keyframe audio
Changing opacity on clip
- Use keyframes
- Option clicking on the video / green button in timeline solos that clip
I’m working with animation in Final Cut 7, how do I change it so I don’t have to keep rendering?
Answer: Select RT in Timeline and Select “Unlimited RT”
How to do a green screen filter:
- Browser > Import (bring in video footage)
- Create new sequence
- Effects > Video Filters > Key > Primatte RT
- Double cick your clip from timeline to viewer
- Click on the Filters Tab > Auto Sample > Click Green
- Go to Output Type and choose Matte (this allows to see the matte we’re creating to key out the green)
- Go down to noise removal and grab the slider and drag it all the way to left so it’s at 0
- Go down to Matte Density, and decrease density a little bit at a time until you have a solid WHITE matte over your subject
- Once you have solid white matte over subject, you may have noise in black of image
- Go to Noise removal and decrease until you get rid of extra noise, but still have a nice solid matte around your subject.
- Once you have that, go back to Output type and change to Processed Foreground in the drop-down
- Grab clip from TL from V1 to V2
- Go to browser, grab background clip which is a still image and drop that into V1.
- Make that image the entire length of the video.
- Click on background clip on v1 to make it active
- Go to canvas, set view to Image + Wireframe and fil up background so it fills entire frame
- Turn Wire frame off once done
- To fix magenta hue, go back to Filter and change Spill Supression so subject is not too green or magenta.
This recently happened to me, and I couldn’t figure it out. I transcoded in Adobe Encoder and used their settings. What I didn’t realize was that the audio needed to be changed to Uncompressed instead of their default settings.
- Click on the disclosure triangle in the Browser window on the Effects tab for any of the Effects Video Filters
- Double click on the filter
- Click on the name of the filter and drag from viewer into the Favorite bin in your Browser
You can also click Option F.
How to make a copy of a clip in the Timeline:
- In the timeline, click on the clip you want to effect, then > Shift + Option and click back on clip and drag it up. This will allow you to copy the clip and if you drag, it will keep the clip from moving in the time.
- If you just hold Shift and drag, it will not make a copy but will keep the clip in place as you drag it.
- If you just click Option and drag, it will make a copy but you can move clip anywhere in TL.
How to blend 2 videos
- Add 2 videos into the timeline
- Right click on the video clip in TL in V2, and select Composite Mode > Then select any of these filters
- You can also adjust the opacity as well
How to Open a Bin in a new Tab
- In Browser, if you Option and Double click on a bin, it opens up that bin in a new tab
How do you move your favorite filters from computer to computer?
- Save the filters as a Project
- Grab the tab for that project, and pull it out of browser window
- Click on effects tab, grab favorites, pull it into project tab
- Save project, close it
- Save project to flash drive, then open it onto new system
How to have a video bleed through letters:
- Add a text layer on track v1
- Add the video layer on track v2
- Right click on the video in trackv2 > Composite Mode > Travel Matte > Alpha
How to have 4 videos come up on a single video frame:
- Add all videos into the timeline stacked
How to flip-flop a video in Final Cut 7:
How to fix shaky video footage in Final Cut 7: